Friday, November 21, 2008

Sausage, Cannelloni Beans, Broccoli Rabe


This was a Jacques Pepin recipe that I had found and wanted to try out. He made his with some canned clams and broccolini (its from his "Fast Food" book).

Once again my local grocery store failed me. They had did not have broccolini (also goes by baby broccoli). The regular broccoli didn't look that great, so I bought the broccoli rabe which looked pretty decent.

I thought the rapini (easier to type than broccoli rabe) would be slightly bitter, but it really just overpowered the dish. Next time I'll probably stick to broccoli.

He also had you use the liquid from the can of beans. I used this along with some chicken stock and let it all reduce, but I think in the future I'd just use the stock.

I topped it off with some olive oil and parmesan cheese.

Highlight of making this was squeezing the hot italian sausage out of its casing. Not quite sure what it reminded me of. I'm also fairly certain this would've grossed Mandy out.


General List of Ingredients
Hot Italian Sausage
Rapini
Cannelloni Beans
Garlic
Chicken Stock
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt

2 comments:

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

I must have missed the chicken stock, I only saw him pour in some of the bean liquid. He also added some onion. Making this tonight but not with hot sausage. We need a break from all our spicey hot superbowl feasting!

joe said...

I'm not sure the chicken stock was in the episode. The printed recipes in the book are a little different. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even use clams in the printed recipe.