Monday, November 17, 2008

Blue Moon - Full Moon Winter Ale


I have two problems with this beer.

We'll start out with the brewer - Coors. They like to do everything they can to not acknowledge that this is their beer. Now, I suppose the other large brewers do this also, but Blue Moon is consistently positioned as a micro-brew. This bothers me for some reason. I won't even mention the Coors family political leaning.

The second is that it is described as an abbey ale. It does not come close to tasting like an abbey ale. In fact, it does not come close to tasting like anything at all. Maybe I'm being too harsh. It has a slightly metallic taste with no aftertaste. It has more maltyness (is that a word?) than a Coors Light. (Mandy also pointed out that the label touts a "balanced taste" which could be accurate if "no taste" and "balanced taste" are one in the same.)

It is probably easier to drink with a meal than a Sam Adam's Winter Lager, but that's about the only positive thing I can say for this offering.

Overall, I can't recommend that anyone spend their money on this beer. Go buy yourself any other winter ale/seasonal offering that you can find (I recommend either this or this).

Official Joe Cooks Dinner and Stuff Beer Rating:
Blue Moon - Full Moon Winter Ale
1/5

1 comment:

Andrew Whitacre said...

Is abbey ale the same as trappist? Cuz if it is, Winter Ale definitely isn't anything close to that.

I didn't realize that is was a Coors product. That's a big fat strike against it.