Friday, November 7, 2008

Chickpea Ragout




This is one of my favorite dishes to make for several reasons:
1) I get to chop up a lot of stuff with my knife
2) Not too many dishes/clean up (one pot, one cutting board, one bowl)
3) You can't really mess it up

However, even as easy as it is, its still possible to forget important things. For example, the layout picture is missing one key ingredient: an onion. I had to take a stroll down the street for a yellow onion after getting everything together. I'm thankful I don't have to get in a car for situations like this.

So lets get to the easy to make part:
Chop a medium yellow onion and an equal amount of green onions.
Saute the onions in some olive oil along with some salt and pepper.
Mince (or slice depending on how garlicy you want it) 2 cloves of garlic.
Throw the garlic in!!
Roughly chop the2 medium tomatoes (I usually just quarter them but I chopped them up today), throw them in!!
Drain the chickpeas, toss them in!!
Put in some chicken stock/broth or water; somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup depending on how thick you want it to be; consider adding some more salt & pepper.

Bring it to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes or so. Uncover and cook for another 5-10 minutes until it gets to the consistency you want. If your a pimp with a kitchen knife you can probably cook the whole meal in 30 minutes (I'm looking at you Rachel R.).

I put some parsley and hot sauce in and ate it as my main course, but it also makes a nice side dish. It would probably go well over rice or pasta, but I'm typically too lazy to do more dishes when I make this.

5 comments:

elagasse said...

Bam!

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure we have that exact same cutting board

Elwood said...

I'm gonna make this this week. Do you use the entire onion?

joe said...

yeah, one medium sized yellow onion.

Rachael R. said...

I AM a pimp! I'm so glad someone else noticed! Yum-O!!!!!