Friday, January 30, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Last Friday I was a man possessed in the kitchen. Mandy and I whipped up a batch of mac'n'cheese with bacon and I baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies. The mac'n'cheese came together faster than ever before, mainly because I remembered to start the sauce before I did anything else.

But anyway, onto the cookies. I like my cookies chewy. Not "cakey", not crisp. Chewy. Once again, I was using a modified Alton Brown recipe. His calls for bread flour, which I did not have. In theory, it should produce a chewier cookie because of the extra protein in the flour, but I've also had mixed results with it in the past. As I just picked up a large bag of bread flour for Mandy's bread baking, I'll probably try using it again someday.

Once again, our oven gave me some issues. It runs on the hot side, and definitely has hot spots towards the front of the oven. The first batch came out a little too done, but the second batch was just perfect.

If you find yourself interested in baking cookies (and more specifically chocolate chip cookies), the Good Eats episode "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" is recommended viewing. You can search for it on youtube. It explains some of the science behind egg whites, flour and sugar types in baking. Good stuff.

1 comment:

The Newtster said...

Disturbing picture... Bonus!!!!!