Friday, January 2, 2009

Molasses Cookies

Traditionally, my grandmother would bake enormous amounts of cookies for all of my family during the holidays. And they were all delicious.

Unfortunately, these days it falls to jokers like me to make some of those same cookies if I want them.

I hadn't had molasses cookies in a few years, so I decided to try my own hand at them. My mom had actually unearthed my nan's recipe a little while ago, so I basically used that (I didn't have any ground cloves, so I subbed in a little all-spice instead).

After baking I let the cookies cool for a little bit and then ate one. I was a bit disappointed because they weren't particularly chewy (which is probably the best thing about these suckers). After letting them sit for a day they took on the usual super chewy texture. I was then quite pleased with baking prowess.

Molasses Cookies (Yields about 3 dozen cookies)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 ground cloves
1 1/2 cinnamon

Cream together the butter, shortening and sugar until light-colored and fluffy. Beat in molasses and eggs; set mixture aside.

In another large bowl, combine flour (no to to sift), salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Blend thoroughly with wire whisk. Gradually mix flour mixture into creamed ingredients until dough is blended and smooth.

Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Dip tops into granulated sugar; place 2 1/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 11 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool on wire rack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've heard that once you make your cookie dough, you should refrigerate it for 24 hours before baking the cookies. This supposedly helps them stay chewy and soft.