Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pear Pie





I do not bake often. In fact, the only baking I've ever done consists of chocolate chip cookies and out of the box brownies (the cookies are quite tasty though).

I've never baked pies because there has always been someone around who can actually do it a lot better than me (my grandmother, mother, sister and now Mandy).

A couple of weeks ago, refrigerated pie crust was on sale, so we bought a box just to have around.

So for some reason this week, I got it in my head that I wanted to make a pie with the ready-made crust (taking the hardest part of pie-making out of the equation). I somehow settled on making a pear pie. Pears are sorta in season. So yeah.

The recipe was fairly straight forward. It had me just pour the sugar/flour mixture over top of the pears once they were in the pie crust instead of pre-mixing. I thought this was a little weird, but I followed the directions anyway.


We were pretty impatient and wanted to eat pie, so we only let it cool for about 45 minutes. The resulting pictures show that it hadn't really firmed up yet and was ridiculously wet. Subsequent pieces have been great.

I thought it was a little too sweet the first day also, but I actually don't think I'd change anything in the recipe.

Well, the first pie didn't kill anyone (yet), so maybe I'll attempt another with a greater degree of difficulty in the future. Ideally I'll try my hand at some pie crust, but no promises there.

Pie Filling:
5 Large Pears (I think I used Bartlett)
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (drizzled on top of the pears and sugar mixture)
2 Tablespoons Butter (cut up and thrown on top of the sugar mixture)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a good brownie recipe if you want it. I think I have it memorized.

(I used to make killer brownies back in the day.)

Unknown said...

Also, here's a little dessert-like deal you can make with pears:

Ingredients:
Lettuce
Pear halves
Mayo
Shredded Cheddar cheese (probably not sharp cheddar)

Take a piece of lettuce and put it on your plate, put a pear half on the lettuce, but a dollop of mayo on the pear, sprinkle cheese over the mayo.

I know it sounds weird and it's obviously just side, but it's pretty good. We used to have this rather frequently growing up.

Shrug.

joe said...

i can't believe you suggested a recipe to me with mayo in it.

Unknown said...

Mayo is also great on peanut butter & banana sandwiches especially if used in conjunction with fresh white bread.