Friday, August 6, 2010

Guest Post! - Ommegang Hennepin and Ommergang Zuur
















Dear Readers,
As Joe's oldest friend, I feel that I am within my rights to occasionally hijack his blog, however, in good spirit, I will use my power to suggest further beers that Joe (or you) may enjoy (or not).

First up are two beers I drank this week that Joe has not already reviewed. I didn't take pictures so I found other people's pics and mashed them together.

Both of these beers were made by Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY. I don't know why Joe hasn't reviewed any beers by Ommegang yet - maybe its cause the Nationals suck. Anyway, the first one was the Ommegang Hennepin which was a saison which I guess is really trendy right now. It was just okay - a bit too light and sweet for my tastes. Not that interesting. It was cheaper than the other saisons though which is why I bought it. I drank it yesterday which was International Beer Day.

The second beer was the Ommegang Zuur, a special beer that debuted this summer in bottles and on draft. I had it at a bar on the Upper West Side. It was definitely one of the most unique beers I have ever tasted. Its basically a Flemish style sour brown ale. It was a little fizzy and definitely had a sour taste to it, a bit like sour cherries or even vinegar, but not too intense. I loved it, but its not for everyone. Its definitely worth a try.

Ok. That's it. Next time my post will be much shorter.

1 comment:

joe said...

I've definitely had Hennepin; it was probably during a phase where I wasn't beer blogging. It doesn't really stand out in my mind. Maybe I bought it at Trader Joes? Seems like something they'd have. T

And yes, the nats suck. But hey, maybe they'll have something resembling a major league rotation by the end of the year.